Top 5 Best Wireless Routers of 2017
Today’s wireless routers are a lot faster and smoother than their counterparts from a few years back. Not to mention, they’re less finicky and easier to setup and control, so it’s worth it to look into a new one if yours is getting old.
|Wireless Routers||Key Features||Rating||Prices|
|AC1200 Wi-Fi Router||High-speed wired connectivity is assured, thanks to the D-Link router’s 4 high-speed gigabit ethernet ports. This turns your wireless router into a wired powerhouse for times when wired connectivity is a must.||See Price|
|Synology Router RT1900ac||The RT1900ac boasts 4 gigabit LAN ports and 1 gigabit WAN port for superior wired connectivity for devices that aren’t optimized for wireless connectivity.||See Price|
|Google Wi-Fi||Network Assist technology from Google makes the most of this dual band Wi-Fi router system by intelligently choosing the best frequency band for your current application, so you’re always maxing out your speeds and minimizing lag time.||See Price|
|LINKSYS EA6350||Linksys claims that their gigabit ethernet is 10 times faster than Fast Ethernet. The router comes with 4 of these hyper-fast gigabit ethernet ports for great wired connectivity.||See Price|
|ASUS AC3100||WTFast technology is built-in on the AC3100 ASUS router, designed to optimize wireless performance during MMORPG gaming.||See Price|
The D-Link AC1200 Wi-Fi Router is equipped with four high-gain antennas, which allows the router to give full coverage to a wider area of your home, providing maximum speed in all quarters.
High-speed wired connectivity is assured, thanks to the D-Link router’s 4 high-speed gigabit ethernet ports. This turns your wireless router into a wired powerhouse for times when wired connectivity is a must.
Dual band technology
Dual band technology allows your wireless router to function efficiently in the modern age. The lower frequency band handles boring everyday tasks like checking your email, while the high frequency band provides excellent speeds for heavy-duty tasks like gaming, streaming and more.
Interfacing with wireless routers can sometimes be a challenge, but that’s not a problem with the AC1200 Wi-Fi Router. Parental controls, device blocking and more are all done with the intuitive interface control panel, which allows you to easily change settings sans hassle.
Advanced QoS engine
D-Link’s Intelligent QoS feature prioritizes applications intelligently based on need, so that you’re always getting the speed you need for the task at hand.
- 4 high-gain antennas for ultimate wireless home coverage
- 4 gigabit ethernet ports for superior wired performance
- Wired/wireless router allows for versatile connectivity
- Dual band technology
- Advanced QoS engine makes best use of dual band tech
- Intuitive interface for parental controls, etc.
- Secure Wi-Fi encryption
- Guest Wi-Fi network
- Quick router setup via app
- Easy installation
- The antennas are pretty tall, so you’ll want to place the router strategically in your home to avoid an eyesore, but this is pretty easy to manage. For those with advanced wireless needs, this is likely a reasonable tradeoff.
Home or business use
The unique thing about the Synology Router RT1900ac is that it’s capable of being used in the home or office when you take into account coverage area plus its ability to set up secure connections. When functioning at ideal performance, the RT1900ac can support 70 secure connections, though in real-life this will be understandably lower since your office presumably isn’t a laboratory setting, with real-life numbers likely supporting 40 secure connections, still making it a viable business option for small to medium size offices.
The RT1900ac boasts 4 gigabit LAN ports and 1 gigabit WAN port for superior wired connectivity for devices that aren’t optimized for wireless connectivity.
In addition to the ethernet ports, the RT1900ac conveniently houses a USB 3.0 port and an SD card reader.
With dual band technology, the Synology router can reach speeds of 600Mpbs on the low frequency band and an impressive 1500Mpbs on the high frequency band, for superior Wi-Fi capabilities on both your demanding and everyday tasks alike.
- Suitable for home or business
- Can theoretically support 70 secure connections (real-life number is lower)
- Dual band technology
- Low frequency band max speed of 600Mbps
- High frequency band max speed of 1300Mbps
- 4 gigabit LAN ports
- 1 gigabit WAN port
- USB 3.0 port
- SD card reader
- The Synology app is compatible for both iOS and Android and enabled complete control over the router for ease of use
- This router can only handle one printer being connected at a time, though small to medium size offices tend to only have one printer anyway these days, since everyone is going paperless, so this isn’t as big of a deal as it would be five years ago.
The Google Wi-Fi system replaces your standard Wi-Fi router and improves wireless connectivity in your house by eliminating “dead zones”. One Google router covers 1,500 sq. ft., which in itself is impressive; however, the Google routers are meant to work together to spread the Wi-Fi signal all over your house, so three routers will cover an entire 4,500 sq. ft. space, and you can purchase additional routers if you still need extra coverage. This system is ideal for people who need Wi-Fi signals in their attic, basement, guest house, etc.
Network Assist technology
Network Assist technology from Google makes the most of this dual band Wi-Fi router system by intelligently choosing the best frequency band for your current application, so you’re always maxing out your speeds and minimizing lag time.
Each Google Wi-Fi point has 2 gigabit ethernet ports, with both LAN and WAN on the primary Wi-Fi point. With the set of three, you get a total of 5 LAN ports and 1 WAN port, for versatile and robust wired capabilities.
Wi-Fi app interface
Easily setup and control your Google Wi-Fi system with Google’s app. The app simplifies the setup process and allows you to activate parental controls and other advanced features with ease.
- Set of 3 router “points” for maximum home coverage
- Each router point covers 1,500 sq. ft.; set of 3 covers 4,500 sq. ft.
- All router points work together for seamless connectivity
- Dual band technology for ultrafast speeds
- Network Assist tech ensures you always get the right band for your needs
- Gigabit ethernet
- 5 LAN ports total; 1 WAN port total (located on main router point)
- Wi-Fi app interface simplifies setup and management process, including parental controls and pausing Wi-Fi
- Works with all major internet companies
- The downside of the Google Wi-Fi system doesn’t so much apply to the set of 3 router points, as it does just for those who get one single point. Because the main point only has one LAN port (the other is WAN), those who only use the main port in their home may feel limited by this. However, it’s important to note the set of 3 doesn’t have this issue, since the other two points are all LAN ports.
The Linksys EA6350 AC1200+ wireless router is a dual band router, which means your high-demand applications like gaming and streaming never lag, since they’re supported by the mega-fast high frequency band.
Linksys claims that their gigabit ethernet is 10 times faster than Fast Ethernet. The router comes with 4 of these hyper-fast gigabit ethernet ports for great wired connectivity.
The Linksys router uses beamforming technology to improve signal strength for better performance with less interference.
Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Software
Setting up and controlling your Linksys router just got a lot easier thanks to the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Software, which allows you to change settings and adjust controls with ease.
- Dual band for fast performance
- Beamforming for better signals
- Gigabit ethernet
- 4 gigabit LAN ports
- USB 3.0 port
- Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Software
- Easy setup
- Linksys routers used to be quite finicky in years past, so their reputation isn’t as great as some other brands; however, the improvements the brand has made is worth noting, and use is simplified by the app tremendously.
The AC3100 wireless router is a dual band router. Everyday tasks, like checking email, are relegated to the low frequency band, while the high frequency band is reserved for hardcore processes like gaming. The AC3100 high frequency band is capable of reaching speeds up to 3167Mbps, so even games with 4k UHD textures run smoothly.
The four-antenna array with beamforming technology provides superior wireless coverage.
WTFast technology is built-in on the AC3100 ASUS router, designed to optimize wireless performance during MMORPG gaming.
ASUS Router App
The ASUS Router App allows you to setup and control your router with ease, so you can commence with gameplay.
- Dual band (high frequency band max speed of 3167Mbps)
- Great foundation for smooth gameplay
- WTFast technology is built-in to enhance MMORPG gameplay connectivity
- Beamforming technology built-in
- 8 gigabit LAN ports for ultrafast wired connectivity
- AiProtection, TrendMicro, and Parental Controls for ultimate security
- ASUS Router App: easy setup and setting control
- The antennas may be a bit of an eyesore, but they’re not as obtrusive as those on comparable routers from other brands.