20.1-megapixel CMOS sensor
The PowerShot G7 X Mark II’s impressive 1-inch 20.1-megapixel CMOS sensor is the major driving force behind the Canon offering’s ability to capture high-quality images and video in a true-to-life level of fidelity that simply isn’t seen on comparable models from competitors. Thanks to a broad dynamic range, it’s able to capture both the lightest and darkest portions of a picture in all of their contrasting glory, providing for rich visual depth. And because the PowerShot G7 X Mark II comes with 20.1 megapixels, you can shoot images in true high definition, which means your images will look beautiful on HD displays of all kinds. It also allows you a professional level of photo editing potential so you can bring out your picture’s best qualities without sacrificing any important details.
4.2x Optical Zoom Lens
The 4.2x Optical Zoom Lens on the Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II features a bright aperture value of f/1.8 which jumps to f/2.8 when fully zoomed at 4.2x. The result is the ability to capture truly artistic photographic images with backgrounds that come to life or defocus on your whim, thanks to the powerful 9-blade iris diaphragm. The PowerShot’s 11 lenses feature a high-tech Canon-exclusive coating which the company developed for the EF lenses. This coating provides more stability and surface hardening, as well as practical features like ultraviolet protection which prolong the camera’s life and improve your picture quality in the process.
DIGIC 7 Image Processor
The DIGIC 7 Image Processor is a great boon to lovers of action shots. With this processor, you have the ability to shoot fast-moving subjects with minimal noise and maximum clarity, all thanks to its enhanced detection and tracking capabilities, which have been immensely improved over previous iterations. Face tracking has also been improved, so the ones you love can now be your main focus—both literally and metaphorically. Another improvement the DIGIC 7 Image Processor brings is for instances when the lighting is exceptionally low; you still get clear shots and video, which makes it great for shooting at twilight. When you add improve blur minimization, the DIGIC 7 Image Process in itself is a great addition to the PowerShot G7 X Mark II’s overall functionality.
Up to 8fps continuous shooting
The DIGIC 7 Image Processor’s improvements make the PowerShot G7 X Mark II the ultimate action shot digital camera for travel and sports events. With improvements to tracking and detection, as well as sharpness and blur reduction, action shots come in clear and beautiful. The PowerShot allows for up to 8fps of continuous shooting so you are sure to get the ultimate action shot every time.
FHD 1080p video capture
Thanks to its 20.1 megapixels and the DIGIC 7 Image Processor, the PowerShot G7 X Mark II is also a powerful video camera, capturing 1080p Full-HD video at 60fps in stereo sound for home movies with a high level of detail and realism that’s hard to find elsewhere. Videos are shot in the MP4 format for convenience and space saving when it comes to storage. Additionally, with the HDMI output cable, you can connect your PowerShot directly to your TV for quick, cinematic playback.
As for function, the 20.1-megapixels are certainly nothing to sneeze at. The definition is extraordinary, especially if you’re someone who is upgrading from a lower resolution camera. This level of definition allows for tons of options if you’re into photo editing. You can crop without feeling like you’re losing any image quality which is great for the artsy types.
The DIGIC Image 7 Processor is probably the biggest upgrade to the PowerShot, but it makes a huge difference compared with older models. Improved detection and tracking optimizes action shots while Intelligent IS technology analyzes camera movements to further reduce visual noise and motion blur. This feature is great for when you’re holding the camera in-hand for a long time, like at your child’s sporting events, which can make it difficult to get crystal clear shots. The DIGIC Image 7 Processor and Intelligent IS take care of that issue entirely.
The 8fps continuous shooting feature is really cool and I’m a big fan of the FHD video capture. With 1080p at 60fps, home movies become something more like real movies and look amazing on your wide screen HDTV.
Thoughtful features like improved background blur and the high-tech blade coating feel like the PowerShot G7 X Mark II had a lot of thought put into its overall design, which I like.
- 1-inch 20.1-megapixel CMOS sensor
- DIGIC Image 7 Processor
- Intelligent IS technology automatically analyzes camera movement and corrects accordingly
- Ideal for action shots thanks to improved blur minimization and improved detection and tracking; action shots look professional and lively
- 2x, f/1.8 – f/2.8 Optical Zoom Lens
- Canon HS System captures beautiful images in low light
- High dynamic range captures true-to-life shadows and highlights
- Up to 8fps continuous shooting in RAW, JPEG or RAW + JPEG file formats
- Full-HD 1080p video capture at 60fps
- Manual movie mode further customizes experience
- Watch videos immediately on your TV thanks to HDMI connectivity
- 9-blade iris diaphragm
- 11 lenses with high-tech Canon-exclusive coating
- Built-in wireless connectivity
- Built-in NFC (Near-Field Communication) for ultrafast connectivity
- Camera Connect App allows for remote shooting via smartphone
- Image synch functionality allows for wireless file transfers
- 3-inch LCD touchpanel screen allows for ultimate control and monitoring
- Li-Ion battery-powered (battery and charger are included)
- Wrist strap included
- Lightweight at 1.4lbs
- 1-year limited warranty
- It’s not a 4k camera. While this isn’t an issue for hobbyists, pros may have an issue. That said, professional-quality shots are still very much possible with this camera.