The GoPro Hero5 Black holds the honor of being both the most powerful GoPro ever as well as the easiest to use, thanks to features like voice control and easy one-button operation. Add in 4K video and you have yourself an ultrapowerful camera that anyone can use.
The GoPro Hero5 Black delivers professional quality pictures and video in an extremely easy-to-use way. Picture clarity comes full force at 12 megapixels, a resolution so high you can crop and edit to your heart’s content while still maintaining the stunning visuals of your original photo. Picture mode captures pictures in single, burst and time lapse modes for ultimate versatility, and the native formats are RAW and WDR. For a more professional touch to your pictures, the Hero5 Black also allows for exposure control, giving you, the photographer, ultimate control of your masterpieces.
The GoPro Hero5 Black records video in 4K Ultra-HD. 4K video is the wave of the future and it’s the ultimate in video quality as of 2017, and more and more high-end TVs and computer graphics are supporting it. Now, your home movies can look like real movies with true cinema resolution on your UHD flatscreen TV; that cinematic feel is further enhanced with true stereo quality sound on all of your recordings. Additionally, the Hero5 Black features advanced video stabilization, a GoPro technology that allows you to capture stable and non-shaky video even when you’re using your GoPro handheld.
2-inch touch display
A 2-inch touch display is directly built into the GoPro Hero5 Black. It allows for easy video trimming quick previews and playbacks, as well as the ability to change settings quickly for a nice workflow.
Easy to use
Voice control gives you ultimate ease of use when it comes to using your Hero5 Black. You can easily command your camera to take the perfect picture, leaving your hands free to do more important things, like driving your motorcycle, for instance. One-button control is another ease of use the Hero5 Black has to offer; it allows you to snap pictures just like a traditional camera for a classic feel, and you can use it to immediately start video recordings as well. Further easy functions can be accessed directly from the 2-inch touch display.
In general, GoPros are designed for an active lifestyle, and the GoPro Hero5 Black is no exception, featuring built-in durability. Moreover, the Hero5 Black is also waterproof (without any housing) down to 33ft. For extra waterproofing, housing is available to up the Hero5 Black’s endurance game.
The GoPro Hero5 Black definitely makes a more commanding appearance than the Session series. Despite being larger, it only weighs a quarter of a pound, so even when you’re wearing it, it doesn’t really weigh you down.
The 4K video quality is outstanding on the Hero5 Black. There are a lot of products advertising 4K video now and not all of them live up to the hype—the GoPro Hero5 Black does, however. The sound quality is pretty spectacular as well. Naturally, I had to test it all out on my TV and I was honestly pretty blown away. I was expecting these features to be diminished on the TV compared with how they displayed on the computer, but I was wrong. The video was super clear and the audio was full and true. I had my doubts since I had never used one before, but you really have the ability to make professional quality video with the GoPro.
The same is also true for pictures. For those of us who have seen a few decades, we can remember the dawn of digital cameras and how 3 megapixels were consider high-end in those days. The 12-megapixel on the Hero5 Black gives you that same feeling of awe that early digital cameras gave you then. Most people just take pics on their cellphone today, but if you’re looking for a major step up from that, you can’t go wrong with the picture quality of the GoPro Hero5 Black. I also like how you can get not just single pictures, but photo bursts and time lapse as well; it gives you the features we’ve come to expect on smartphones but on a much more powerful picture-taking device.
The 2-inch display is nice. I like how easy it makes previewing videos, so I can see if I need to reshoot anything, etc. I’m also really digging the voice control and it’s one of my favorite features on the Hero5 Black. It works as advertised—you really can tell it to take a picture and it will. You’d think it would be difficult to train yourself to take pictures with your voice instead of pressing a button, but it becomes natural very quickly.
And if you do like a classic camera feel, you’ll likely appreciate the one-button operation feature. As much as I love the voice control option, sometimes you just need to go retro. This is an easy way, in particular to take single shots. It allows you to take that perfect, artsy shot just in the same way as you would on a regular digital camera or a smartphone.
I actually did test the waterproof ability. We went to the beach one day and I did some swimming with it underwater and it checks out without the housing, as advertised.
I like that they include some mounts with the Hero5 Black itself. I was expected to have to buy these as extra accessories, so that’s a pleasant surprise. Also of note, it’s pretty cool you can use it with over 30 different GoPro mounts and accessories. If using the GoPro becomes a big-time hobby for me in the future, I can definitely see that aspect become useful.
- 4K video with advanced video stabilization
- 12-megapixel camera: features single captures, bursts, and time lapse mode, along with control over exposure; RAW and WDR formats
- Stereo audio sound quality
- GPS built-in (GPS location tagging)
- Voice control: Voice commands allow for handsfree operation
- One-button control: Enables operation of GoPro like a traditional camera, among other functions
- 2-inch touch display: provides quick access to settings, previews and more
- Rugged and durable
- Waterproof down to 33ft (without housing)
- Compatible with 30+ official GoPro mounts and accessories
- Automatic cloud upload available with GoPro Plus subscription
- Wi-Fi built-in
- Bluetooth built-in
- Ultralightweight at a ¼ lbs
- Rechargeable li-ion battery included
- Curved adhesive mount included
- Flat adhesive mount included
- Mounting buckle included
- USB-C cable included
- It’d be nice if you didn’t need a GoPro Plus subscription for automatic uploads to the cloud; this isn’t a deal-breaker type issue, but it’d still be nice.
- Some people have noticed the GoPro Plus app is finicky, which adds to the frustration of it being a paid surface. Again, not a make or break deal, since it’s easy to upload directly to your computer, but still annoying.
- What is a GoPro?
- GoPro is a versatile wearable and mountable camera designed to capture photos and videos in active settings. It’s famous for handsfree use and capturing first-person point-of-view videos and photos.
- What accessories are compatible with the GoPro Hero5 Black? Are previous generation accessories also compatible?
- The GoPro Hero5 Black is compatible with over 30 GoPro mounts and accessories, though it won’t necessarily be compatible with certain components, like older housing, for instance, due to changes in design.
- How do I get the cloud uploading feature?
- The automatic cloud uploading feature works through the GoPro Plus App, which requires a subscription. For a free alternative, you can manually upload videos and pictures to your computer.
- What is advanced video stabilization?
- Advanced video stabilization is a feature designed to prevent shakiness when you’re taking handheld video on your GoPro. This allows your videos to come out smoother than a normal handheld video camera would.
- Does the GoPro Hero5 Black need housing to be waterproof?
- The GoPro Hero5 Black is waterproof down to a depth of 33ft without any housing. If you need additional waterproofing (for diving, for instance), check GoPro’s list of compatible accessories.
The GoPro Hero5 Black is covered by a 1-year limited warranty. Additionally, GoPro allows you to purchase a 2-year protection if you need further coverage.